While visiting Kelowna recently I had the opportunity to do a short study on gossip. Here’s what I discovered. Enjoy!
Why are human beings so easily given to gossip?
1. Gossip began with Lucifer before the fall, and is a characteristic of “satanic culture.” When Lucifer rebelled against God he began by “talebearing” and with gossip. (Translated from Hebrew) Talebearer: one that spreads gossip or rumours Merriam-Webster
2. Often those who gossip carry the heavy load of their own guilty conscience and talking about someone else gives “relief.”
3. Often a gossip is someone who is tremendously disatisfied with their own life and by discussing someone else, they feel “bigger than they are.” Usually the person they discuss is someone who has had success or holds some kind of elevated position.
4. A gossip is usually someone given to other sin such as jealousy and envy, or has opened their heart to bitterness. “Out of the heart the mouth speaks.”
5. Sadly, far too often, the gossip is being used by the enemy to “accuse.” One of Satan’s names actually means to “throw through.” It depicts the actual hurling or throwing of a javelin in the form of an accusation. Gossips are often just mouths the enemy has an opportunity to use.
6. There is a significant drought in strong teaching as it pertains to the perceived “smaller sins.” While we work hard to abstain from murder, adultery and theft, a person could still be living in sin as a gossip.
7. A gossip could be lacking in self control or struggles with impulsive behaviour due to one or more issues. They may also just genuinely lack the relationship with the Holy Spirit that is necessary to maintain the “fruit of the Spirit.” One of the fruits of the Spirit is SELF control. (Galatians 5:22) Not God controlling your mouth, but us controlling our own tongues.